Clogged drains are inconvenient and annoying, and they can lead to health hazards and serious property damage if not properly addressed and cleaned. Using a plunger or a drain cleaning chemical can help address minor clogging problems, but these tactics will not break up more severe blockages. In fact, some cleaning chemicals may actually corrode pipes, leading to more plumbing issues in the future. That’s why pipe issues and drain cleaning should always be handled by a licensed plumber who will resolve your plumbing issues safely and efficiently.
When is a Drain Cleaning needed?
Here are several residential or commercial plumbing situations where a professional drain cleaning service is highly recommended:
- Slow Draining Sinks – Is the water in toilets bubbling up or does water take a long time to drain in bathroom or kitchen sinks? If so, this indicates a clogged drain that needs to be broken up using an auger (or roto-rooter) by a licensed plumber.
- Frequent Toilet Clogs or Overflows – If your toilet clogs easily or begins to overflow, you need a professional drain cleaning service.
- Water Slowly Receding in Toilets – If it takes an unusually long time for the water to completely recede after a flush, it is often caused by a clogged drain. If this occurs at an office or place of business, additional equipment (like a hydro-jet) might be needed for a commercial drain cleaning service.
- Water Backs Up in Other Drains when Toilet Flushed – If drains in a bathtub or shower backup when a toilet is flushed, it means there’s a complete or partial clog in the drainage system that will require a rooter service by a professional plumber.
- Foul Smells – If there are unpleasant odors coming from a sink drain, bathtub drain, or toilet, it means there is a clogged drain that needs to be resolved by a trusted and licensed plumber.
If you are experiencing any of these situations, Lantz’s Lakeside Plumbing & AC is ready and available to help! We are open 7 days a week – Monday through Saturday we are open until 9pm. Call us at 512.267.1188 or fill out a brief form here.
What are the Steps in a Professional Drain Cleaning Service?
Remove the Blockage in the Pipe
The first step in a drain cleaning service involves safely cleaning out the buildup and debris in a blocked pipe with a snake auger (or “roto-rooter”). This piece of equipment is effective at removing stubborn clogs or cleaning out drain lines and water pipes by using a long, thin cable-like structure that slithers into the pipe, targeting the problem area, and breaking up blockages. A roto-rooter is either hand-cranked or motor-operated based on the length and diameter of the drain and the type of blockage.
If blocked pipes become a frequent issue at a property or if we pull any dirt or root material out of a pipe during a drain cleaning, we will often recommend a camera inspection to locate and understand the full extent of the blockage(s) and its cause. A specialized camera is attached to a rod and inserted into a drain to capture real-time footage of the affected pipe and blockage(s). This information helps a plumbing expert determine the location, cause, and solution needed to safely remove the blockage and clean the drain. This involves an additional fee and is not included in a regular drain cleaning service.
Use Hydro-Jetting (if needed)
When a roto-rooter (or “drain snake”) cannot clear a clogged drain, licensed plumbers will use a state-of-the-art technology to break up major blockages – called “hydro-jetting”. Hydro-jetting is usually reserved for commercial drain cleaning projects although it is used in residential jobs when needed. The hydro-jet system involves a machine with a hose and a powerful nozzle that is connected to drain lines and cleans out the waste and interior walls of pipes by shooting water through them at high pressure. The direction of the pressure is monitored by a CCTV camera attached to the head of the nozzle and is controlled accordingly. For clogged drains that are extra challenging, hydro-jet equipment provides the solution!
Lantz’s Lakeside Plumbing & AC has the hydro-jet equipment to handle any residential or commercial drain cleaning job. To learn more or schedule service, call us at 512.267.1188, fill out a brief form or visit our website.
Five Most Common Causes of Clogged Drains & How to Prevent Them
- Cotton/Latex Products – Cotton (or cotton swab) is a non-porous material that is highly water-absorbent and won’t degrade inside a sewage line. When cotton products, like “flushable wipes” and feminine products that claim to be “flushable”, are sent down the toilet over time they can cause clog drains – especially in homes that use grinder/sewage/sump pumps. Similarly, latex products like paints, adhesives, gloves, etc. are non-dilutable and can also lead to clogged drains.
The solution is simple: only human waste and degradable toilet paper should be flushed down the toilet.
- Grease – When any greasy liquid content is poured down in the drain, it will harden and accumulate in the sewer pipe – reducing water flow and eventually leading to total blockages.
Make sure to never allow grease to be poured down a drain. Instead, keep a plastic container under a sink to store used grease and oil (after it cools down). Throw away the container once it is filled up.
- Shifting Foundations – The foundation of your residential or commercial property may shift due to soil/weather conditions. When shifting occurs, pipes are often damaged and more susceptible to getting clogged.
If foundation shifting is causing cracks to the walls or floors at your property, then pressure is being put on pipes and other plumbing components and should be addressed by a professional service company.
- Hair & Soap Residues – Hair gets entangled with soap scum and other debris in drains and pipes and begins to accumulate. Over time, water flow is reduced, and clogs develop in drains.
We can’t keep hair from falling out, although we can clean out the hair that accumulates in shower drains before it goes down into the pipes to eliminate as much hair in pipes as possible.
- Tree Roots – This issue is more common with plumbing systems in older homes as trees are often more mature, taller, and have larger root systems which seek out moisture. Updated plumbing techniques and products are designed to reduce damage from roots, but if there are gaps or cracks in pipes in the ground that are leaking moisture, roots will start to grow towards (and eventually into) them causing damage and blockages.
To resolve this issue properly, either the area of roots affecting the pipes or the entire plant/tree needs to be removed. These types of issues will only get worse over time so don’t wait to address this type of issue any longer.
If you have a stubborn clog at your home or office and need a local, trusted Plumbing company, Lantz’s Lakeside Plumbing & AC is here to help. We offer professional residential and commercial drain cleaning services in Lago Vista, Jonestown, Leander, Cedar Park, Austin, and surrounding areas.
Is a “Drain Cleaning” and a “Rooter Service” the same thing?
They are the same thing! There is no difference between a drain cleaning service and a roto-rooter service. A roto-rooter was a brand name for a style of drain snake which led to drain cleaning also becoming known as “rooter plumbing”.
Whether you call us for a “drain cleaning” or “roto-rooter service”, we can help you quickly and affordably! We are open 7 days a week and open late until 9pm – Monday through Saturday. Call Lantz’s Lakeside Plumbing & AC at 512.267.1188 to learn more or schedule a drain cleaning today.
Benefits of a Professional Drain Cleaning
The licensed, professional plumbing technicians at Lantz’s Lakeside Plumbing & AC are equipped with the tools and experience to clear blockages in drains and leave pipes clean and debris-free. Keep in mind that professional drain cleaning can also be used preventatively to remove debris, grease, scale deposits and other debris in pipes in advance of them becoming an issue in the future.
For over 50 years, Lantz’s Lakeside Plumbing & AC has been cleaning drains for local residential and commercial customers in Lago Vista, Jonestown, Cedar Park, Leander, Austin, and surrounding areas. We are open 7 days a week – and Monday through Saturday we are open until 9pm. Keep in mind we also provide Air Conditioning & Heating (HVAC) and Water Quality (Water Filtration & Water Softeners), and offer regular specials, membership plans, and flexible payment options.
To learn more or to book a drain cleaning service, visit our website, fill out a brief form, or call us at (512) 267-1188.